TextUML Toolkit 1.0 has been released!

I am proud to announce that the TextUML Toolkit reached version 1.0!

TextUML Toolkit 1.0 splash screen

It is basically the same as the RC3 build, made available earlier this week, with version numbers updated to reflect the status of release. You can download the TextUML Toolkit 1.0 from here.

Even if it still preserves the same humble look & feel, the TextUML Toolkit has come a long way since the first public milestone was announced here more than a year ago:

  • M1 – May 2007
    • website went live
    • first public milestone
  • M2 – September 2007
    • graphical class diagram visualization for Windows only (spawned as a brand new open-source project, EclipseGraphviz)
    • support for enumerations
  • M3 – March 2008
    • reverse engineering of UML2 models as TextUML source (aka textual browsing)
    • diagram rendering also on Linux and Mac OS/X
    • click-through license
    • better stability and performance
    • website improvements: added user forum (SMF)
  • M4 – May 2008
    • duplicate symbols properly reported as compilation errors
    • TextUML source renderer showing nested packages
    • evaluated a few code generators (Acceleo, oAW xPand, EMF JET), chose Acceleo
    • first milestone available via update site
  • M5 – June 2008
    • fixed a serious memory leak caused by UML2 caching
    • several bug fixes
    • decoupled the TextUML Toolkit from EclipseGraphviz (EG becoming just a possible integration)
    • website improvements: wiki-based (MediaWiki) documentation area
  • 1.0 – July 2008

On the outreach front: in December, I did a quick presentation of the TextUML Toolkit during the Eclipse DemoCamp in Vancouver, and had the opportunity of doing a longer, more detailed presentation at the VIJUG’s meeting in April. At both opportunities, receptivity to the project was quite good. People seemed very keen on the idea of UML models as text, and I got lots of interesting questions.

In early June, I joined many other fellow mISVers in the 30-day product challenge. Even though I didn’t achieve everything I had set out to do, I am quite happy for having been part of it, as it provided me with the strength and courage to finally ship the first release.

Overall, I am quite happy with the current state of the TextUML Toolkit (or else I would not have declared a release). On the other hand, I confess I am disappointed that interest has not picked up yet, considering it is a free tool that provides real value. Now that there is an example describing how to use the TextUML Toolkit and Acceleo for generating code from UML models (which is the main application of the tool), I hope the value of the tool will become more apparent. And I guess more attention to the marketing side of things won’t hurt.

For the next few months, I will be focusing on a more ambitious project I have hinted at here a couple of times before. During this time, I will be promoting the TextUML Toolkit, writing more documentation and examples, and fixing any bugs users might report, but I do not plan to develop any new features unless there is user demand.

Well, it has been a fun ride, and I appreciate the interest of those of you who have followed at least some part of the journey. Your comments on the blog have been very helpful and encouraging. Thanks a lot!

Cheers,

Rafael

EmailFacebookLinkedInGoogle+Twitter

7 thoughts on “TextUML Toolkit 1.0 has been released!

  1. Leo Gomes

    July 29, 2008 at 12:34pm

    Hi Rafael,

    I think TextUML is an excellent idea. You could maybe think about shipping it as an Eclipse plug-in. I might be wrong, but I think it would have wider acceptance and you could build upon Eclipse’s fame.

    Congrats and keep up the good job.

    Leo

  2. admin

    July 29, 2008 at 12:56pm

    Glad to hear you like the approach, Leo.

    Not sure I understood your suggestion, though. The TextUML Toolkit is already a set of plug-ins for Eclipse. Do you mean, to contribute it to Eclipse.org?

    Cheers,

    Rafael

  3. Leo Gomes

    July 30, 2008 at 12:46am

    Ops… I actually thought you were just shipping it as a RCP application. But yes, I believe that contributing it to Eclipse.org and using the Eclipse licensing would increase the chances of succeeding… Anyhow, it’s a lot of work until a product takes off :)

  4. rafael.chaves

    July 30, 2008 at 12:54am

    Oh, right. Yeah, the downloadable product is actually a 3.3 platform-based (IDE) product, and it exists more as a convenience so people that are not familiar with Eclipse can get it running as easily as possible.

    But installing the TextUML Toolkit features on an existing Eclipse 3.4 product via Software Update is the recommended option (the download page could do a better job at stating that).

    In case you haven’t seen it, here is the update site:

    http://abstratt.com/textuml/update/

    Again, thanks for the feedback,

    Rafael

  5. Leo Gomes

    July 31, 2008 at 4:43am

    Hi Rafael,

    Do you think I could manage to convert the XMI generated by a legacy Rose 98 model, so that it could be read by TextUML?

    Thanks,
    Leo

  6. rafael.chaves

    July 31, 2008 at 8:08pm

    Leo, TextUML works with Eclipse UML2 models, so the question is more about how to convert a Rose 98 model to Eclipse UML2.

    A few links that might help:

    1) Eclipse UML2 FAQ #5

    http://wiki.eclipse.org/MDT-UML2-FAQ#Is_there_a_mechanism_to_convert_a_Rose_.28.mdl.29_model_to_a_UML_.28.uml.29_model.3F

    2) ATL Rose to UML2 transformation

    http://www.eclipse.org/m2m/atl/usecases/MDL2GMF/

    3) Reading/saving OMG XMI from UML2:

    http://wiki.eclipse.org/MDT_1.1_New_and_Noteworthy#Release_2.2_M5

    As you know, XMI interoperability is really hard, so you might have better luck with the .mdl import.

    I would be keen on giving it a try, if you can make the model available.

    Cheers,

    Rafael

Comments are closed.